Magnet Test on a Real and Fake Engelhard 100oz Silver Bar | Silver Coins

Magnet Test on a Real and Fake Engelhard 100oz Silver Bar

Be sure to see our video on using Ultrasonic Thickness Gauges to accurately determine if a bar is made of real silver] This video shows you how to use the “…

25 Responses to Magnet Test on a Real and Fake Engelhard 100oz Silver Bar

1. TheGav0071 says:

You had the fake bar at a much higher angle, so of course it would slide down faster. nice try, how about using a wedge block made to 45*. Be more scientific here young man.

2. AboutAg says:

My first choice would be using an ultrasonic thickness gauge. If I did not have access to one (or it wouldn’t work with the coins), the my next choice would be to weigh/measure the coins and compare them to the known measurements.

3. nawkwan says:

Thank you for your replies. Please allow me to ask one last question, if you were to purchase 12-16 one ounce 99.99 bullion gold coins (regardless of who the seller is — b/c you simply can’t trust anyone) where you need accuracy, which testing method would you use?

4. AboutAg says:

If there is a flat surface, an ultrasonic thickness gauge would detect that. For gold, checking the weight and dimensions (or using a Fisch detector, which simplifies the process) should catch a 14K item that is 24K plated.

5. nawkwan says:

I am planning on buying 16-20 coins, I need to know what’s inside.

6. nawkwan says:

I believe you have somewhat of an idea of what I am asking but what I am really after is, suppose you come across a gold coin that is 24K (99.99) plated but the content is 14K, or a mixture of tungsten and some other material with varying degrees of magnetic characteristics. If I am not mistaken, unless we use destructive means of testing we won’t know for *certain* what’s in there. (Note: I’ve seen ultrasonic and spectrometers used to determine the consistency/purity of the content inside).

7. AboutAg says:

We haven’t done a magnet test on gold, and the effect might not be as noticable on a 1 ounce coin/bar.

That said, it is very hard to come up with an allow that comes close to the density of gold (where the weight and size would be the same as a real coin/bar). Tungsten is about the only feasible option, but it has different magnetic characteristics than gold/silver.

8. nawkwan says:

That is to say, finding the right mix as the content to exhibit similar degrees of attraction with rare magnet like the one used.

9. nawkwan says:

I am planning on purchasing Maple Bullion gold coins and was advised to use a neodymium magnet in conjunction with an electronic gold tester (non-destructive testing).

After watching this video, I come to wonder how this method would accurately determine what’s really underneath the surface. Suppose we have a plated gold coin, and the experiment used here basically tests of how well/fast the magnet slides down the coin at an angle. Question: couldn’t they come up with the right mix to fake it.

10. medexamtoolsdotcom says:

You are WRONG. That is NOT diamagnetism that causes the resistance you feel when you move a magnet against a metal. That is the magnetic field the metal is generating from the currents you are inducing within it. Diamagnetism has absolutely nothing to do with the electrical conductivity of a substance.

11. AboutAg says:

Weighing is a good step, but the FBI examined lead-filled silver bars and stateed “weighing the bars provided no indication of adulteration”. So weighing alone isn’t quite enough to prove a bar is real.

Real silver is often over (or occasionally under) by up to ~2-5% depending on the manufacturer, size, etc. That gives counterfeiters plenty of room for error.

My favorite test is using an ultrasonic thickness gauge.

12. Maxine Edge says:

Weigh it. I am a license precious metals dealer we weigh it to see if it comes out to 100 troy ounces. If it does it’s real. Only gold and silver weigh out the same every time. For those of you that don’t know…. One troy ounces is 31.103 grams. Use this in conjunction with the magnet test and you will never get taken!!!

13. coffeeexmachina says:

good info

14. Al C says:

I knew which bar was fake before the magnate test just from sight. With hundred oz bars or bigger buyers are going to want to drill the bar unless they have the proper testing equipment. This is why i dont buy 100 oz bars 1 kilo is plenty and 10’s are perfect

15. UniqueDesigns41 says:

How did you get stuck with a 100 ounce Lead ingot?

16. clairishe says:

Good points, but most sellers wont let you do scratch or acid testing until you have completed the purchase due to the possibility that you may back out of the purchase, even if the silver is real. On another hand, I see that there are portable ultrasound testers available online that range from ~$500 to ~$1000, but I don’t know if these type would work reliably for verifying silver.

17. roshanbf says:

the size varys from fake bar

18. Dean Timmer says:

Thanks for the video upload. Sorry to see that you have a fake 100 oz bar. Does that mean you got ripped off? Did the police catch the guy? Or else where may I ask did you get the fake bar from? Thanks.

19. Ryan Privee says:

There is another test, also not foolproof for testing silver….your sense of smell….clean silver will not have a smell, but if it’s other metals it’ll usually have an odd “metallic” smell, especially if it’s copper or iron, so that’s worth trying out too. You could also weigh the bar vs. mass and all that but that’s complicated. The only surefire way is to use a scratch/acid test..and do scratch or rub the surface in case it’s plated.

20. Ryan Privee says:

A magnet won’t stick to copper either, so a silverplated copper bar will not work with this method either…..although silverplated copper, at least to me, appears fake because it’ll have a mirror like finish, but it’s subtle. But there’s lots of fake bars, coins and jewelry out there that’s silverplated (or rhodium plated) copper or brass and stamped 925, sterling or 999 silver….so beware and avoid anything coming from China directly! They’re the main culprits!

21. AboutAg says:

For this bar, a ring test would work well. For a fake made out of other metals, however, it might not work so well (I cannot tell the difference between silver and copper). One catch though is that real silver sometimes will make a ‘thud’ sound.

22. J Good says:

surely a ring test would be easier on a bar thats completely (exception of a thin coat it looked like) make of lead, would just go “thud” instead of “rrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg” No?

23. Al C says:

I could tell right away which was real and which wasn’t..

24. invisibletim says:

That’s alotta fake silver.

25. AgouraMo says:

The so called real bar is displayed at a conciderabl lower angle than 45 degrees.