How To Clean Old Silver Coins | Silver Coins

How To Clean Old Silver Coins

How To Clean Old Silver Coins

Video showing the method I use to clean very old tarnished silver coins. Works best with the smaller coins including hammered silver. Thanks to Gary and Alan…

24 Responses to How To Clean Old Silver Coins

1. megamuldyrify says:

THANK:S….. now im worried about if one of my pennies is that one u just spitted on 🙁

2. pondguru says:

I have working man’s hands.
    Clearly something you’re not familiar with.

3. kacatriku says:

How do you clean your hands, with urine?

4. MsConstrued1 says:

gross

5. pondguru says:

No worries, man.
    In the UK we have a very different view on coin collecting and cleaning and its common to clean coins for both sale and collection. There are occasions where super rare coins will be required to be cleaned professionally, especially the roman coins which can be the most difficult to clean.
    English buyers generally aren’t put off by a cleaned coin like US collectors are. Not sure why there is the great general difference in viewpoint though – lol.
    HH and thanks for watching.

6. NCnative82 says:

I have enjoyed watching your videos, pondguru. I have to say though, cleaning silver coins is great if you are collecting them for keepsakes or selling them for their “melt value,” but cleaning coins will make their numismatic value decrease by as much as 50%. Just a friendly note. Enjoy your detecting! 🙂

7. pondguru says:

Yes its not the most pleasant way to clean black silver coins.

8. pondguru says:

I generally use baking soda paste but find it doesn’t shift black tarnish as well as the tin foil method. I realised after the video was made that it was a william IV. Normally I wouldn’t bother cleaning a coin in such a worn state and it would just go as scrap silver.

9. clodhoppersmdc says:

nice coin mate, its a william 4th, have you tried using bicarbonate soda, only reason i say is because i used foil once on a old edward 7th and it ruined the coin as it reacted badly, bi-carb is a much safer way and also cleans them us nicely, let me know what you think

10. SiskinOnUTube says:

The method you show looks fairly gentle. It probably wouldn’t look good to take all the tarnish off. I bet some of her coins have been cleaned like that. Tin foil is aluminium. The aluminium is more reactive than silver. You could probably use a salt solution along with the foil, instead of spit.

I watched a video of copper coins being cleaned with vinegar and salt the other day. I gave it a try. It really rips the muck off in seconds.

11. pondguru says:

Many of the ones in my collection have been cleaned but by the time I die and my children sell them they should have developed a nice patina again – lol

12. SiskinOnUTube says:

I’m just imagining how black my eyes would be, if I cleaned my girlfriend’s coin collection. lol

13. pondguru says:

I presume it will work for gold coins also but I haven’t found any yet – lol.
    The blackness is quite common on silver coins which have been exposed to agro-chemicals and apparently sometimes happens with gold too but not copper. Copper coins just tend to corrode and dissolve.

14. vega1051 says:

Does this only work for silver coins or all coins?

15. BusyBeeCompany says:

We dont like to clean them over here because they arnt that old…american coins only go back to the 17th century….so we like the age on them…and rating companies give betetr marks for ‘real’ uncleaner coins over polished coins

16. pondguru says:

Particularly in the US, people freak out about cleaning coins since old silver is so hard to find over there. In the UK its generally more accepted and provided the coins aren’t over cleaned then it won’t affect value to much degree – check out ebay listings for proof of that.

17. Supercarlover00 says:

I’ve read that cleaning a coin ruins its value

18. pondguru says:

For £20 I’ll give it a go. Thanks.

19. Tom The English Picker says:

Hi. I haven’t done a video on it sorry. Mainly because coin collectors will shout at me. I got mine from Aldi for £20. Works well. Not massively different from the industrial ones I’ve used before just takes abit longer. Try ebay aswell. I tried this silver trick and it works well. Takes about 15 mins per coin.

20. GemQ1 says:

PG,

I’ll definitely give that a try, most of teh vcky silvers found in Oz suffer from the black sulphide.

21. artifactman660 says:

thanks for the tip!

22. wholords says:

chers mate nice ine will try that next time

23. pondguru says:

I searched your channel for any vids of you cleaning copper coins using this method but couldn’t find any. How well does it work? and how much did it cost? I know there are some really cheap ones on ebay but I have not bought one as cheap usually = crap.

24. pondguru says:

I haven’t found a good way to clean copper yet but will post when I do. I’ve tried electrolysis but it pits the surface and ruins the coin when I do it.