how to remove tarnish and clean silver coins, bars, or jewelry | Silver Coins

how to remove tarnish and clean silver coins, bars, or jewelry

I discovered an easy method of removing tarnish from silver, using stuff we all have at home. After viewing the technique I decided to film myself trying it …

25 Responses to how to remove tarnish and clean silver coins, bars, or jewelry

1. cindysorandom says:

hmm I hope this will work on my ring i did the whole baking soda and hot water and foil but nothing happened maybe i will add salt it is a Stirling silver ring

2. eddyk3 says:

I did this and forgot the salt. Nothing happened at all when I dropped the coin in the water.

Then I remember the salt, when I added a pinch to the water the tarnish on the coin vanished instantly.

3. zaerogreat says:

Is there a difference between salt and iodized salt

4. RareMintState says:

Hey Drutter,

Do you see any ill effects from cleaning it in this way? Without rubbing it in any way it would seem safe to clean numismatic coins..

5. joebuckjajaja says:

Looks like a canadian coins

6. Josh H. says:

i just use a weak hydrocholic acid 1.15% and i dunk the coins in the solution for 1 mintue then wipe them off with a smooth cloth then rinse them off and dry them off. i would advise useing gloves and a face mask tho.

7. Yogi Bear says:

what type of coins are you cleaning? They look neet.

8. Tara Combs says:

Thanx I will have to try this. 🙂

9. genkiskan says:

My silver franklins get dark. Don’t work for me

10. Kip Caven says:

You gotta line the bowl with tin foil, COVER the coins in baking soda then pour boiling water over it. LEAVE IT ALONE till the water is room temp or overnight and trust me
    IT DOES WORK
    Youre going too fast

11. IHasGaming says:

hi,
    I’m not sure what coin you are talking about, the first 20 cent coins came out in 1966, and were made up of 75% copper and 25%nickel, no 20 cent pieces were put into circulation with silver in them. Maybe it is a 1966 fifty cent? they look similar

12. Kenny Schram says:

Hey, I have an old 20 cent Australian coin that’s about 80% silver, and I don ‘t know the rest of what it was made of. Probably nickel and copper. Anyways, it’s pretty badly tarnished. Would I damage it if I used too much baking soda/salt and vinegar?

13. Robert Jones says:

It’s a good point, but depends on the age of the silver – the thing about this method is that it’s fairly gentle; and it doesn’t actually remove silver. For an old piece which isn’t of huge value, eg fobs for pocket watches, Victorian watch chains, this seems like a good way to remove the worst of the black tarnish and dull spots without making a piece so squeaky clean that it looks new. For a really great piece of old silver, I’d to the professionals; but for lower value items, this works.

14. Robert Jones says:

Interesting, thanks for that: might use this method on an old Albo Silver watch-chain (tried using toothpaste and silver polish, but it’s fairly intricate and I soon realized I couldn’t take a toothbrush to an old piece of linked silver without damaging it).

15. ThePCSlayer says:

Works really well. I used really hot water, that is boiled and let it cool down for a min. Was pretty quick. It starts fizzing once you add the baking soda & salt. Then few secs after putting the silver in it starts smelling really really really bad. Few mins later, took it out and a lot of difference.

16. G. Lili says:

Nice!

17. riverlaken says:

Thanks for the tip!

18. Kitty VanDuser says:

Good video! You’re on the right track, but you haven’t gone far enough. Best way to do this is in a stainless steel pot on the stove. You need simmering hot water. First, line the pot with aluminum foil. Use a LOT more baking soda and salt (maybe 1/2 cup each for medium-size pot?) If you are doing it right, you will smell a “rotten egg”- stench as the silver comes clean. With really dirty silver, you may have to do the process twice. Doesn’t damage silver plate, and it’s fun to do!

19. Coltietime777 says:

what if you boil baking soda and salt????

20. John Robinson says:

Dont clean it. Destroys most of the value.

21. Anthony M says:

I’m gonna go clean ALL of my money now!

22. Gordan Josić says:

Great method, thank you 🙂

23. derrick harris says:

It did I thank u sir

24. almageccom says:

Cool

25. iVariiiety says:

guys i have a video of a coin i got as a gift, its from 1937 and i need as much info about it as i can! video on my channel