TESTING COUNTERFEIT MORGAN / PEACE SILVER COINS FAKES | Silver Coins

TESTING COUNTERFEIT MORGAN / PEACE SILVER COINS FAKES

testing counterfeit fake Morgan dollars, silver coins, chinese fakes, silver bars etc. Consider this design to be public domain. You can make it very easily….

25 Responses to TESTING COUNTERFEIT MORGAN / PEACE SILVER COINS FAKES

1. mm4kim says:

Wondering the same thing myself. Could we just use metal so the magnets stick on the metal slide? If so, we would have to adjust the magnets in a way so that they do not repel each other. Will that be an isse?

2. Beth Shatara says:

Best vids yet, if only the camera were fixed.

3. DogSoldier1973 says:

I’m looking into making one of these slides 😉 I was just wondering why you took the time to glue the magnets to piece of plexiglass? rather than using a piece of metal to make the slide out of, and just letting the magnets themselves just stick to the metal so they can be removed if necessary? also i assume you have to have all the magnets facing the same way, North or South?

4. UniqueDesigns41 says:

I was wondering if you could try to slide different weight of sterling chains down your slide to see if you get any reaction.

5. SILVERMAGNETSLIDE says:

Most American silver coins are 90 percent. Your sterling is 92.5.
    The slide/swing should work fine with sterling rounds/ingots etc. Given the odd surface area of jewelery, I’m not sure how it would perform with the magnet test. An acid test will only test the surface. If an item is merely plated, the acid test won’t be of much use. Let me know what you figure out.

6. UniqueDesigns41 says:

My 10) N52 1/2″ x 1/4 ” disc shaped magnets came in today.
    I have a lot of old silver US coins I’ve been collecting for years.
    The coins are in Safety Flip coin holders and a single of these magnets travels slowly, just like your 45% method, while leaving them in the holders.
    My Sterling figaro neck chains which I’ve acid tested and seem to be .925 do not slow the single magnet at all. Could this be the lack of the chains surface area?
    Would your slide or pendulum do the same with jewelry?

7. SILVERMAGNETSLIDE says:

That would probably work. Good idea. 🙂

8. UniqueDesigns41 says:

Clear shipping tape can be found very thin. Could that be stuck on to the top surface of the slide magnets to keep numismatic coins from getting scratched?

9. larry ford says:

I know you sent me an email from another site and advised me the n45 neodymium magnet, however, I forgot the size magnets you used. could you tell me again please. I have my plexi glass slide glued up and I ordered my wild h.o.m.p swing. I also ordered 1×1/2×1/8 n45 magnets for that set up. i cant wait to try and complete everything. I really appreciate your help.

10. SILVERMAGNETSLIDE says:

TY 🙂

11. nature1upclose says:

Great advice ¡¡

12. SILVERMAGNETSLIDE says:

specific gravity is problematic. If it’s off, sure, you have a fake.  The specify gravity of silver can easily be matched by using an alloy of a heavier and lighter metal together to result in an alloy with a specific gravity that matches silver. That is where you need to test for the unique diamagnetic property of silver. as an afterthought, if you are testing generic silver, try using a moh hardness scale tester. maybe, i’ll pick one up and do a video on that method. one more tool!

13. CrystalHorizons999 says:

Finally, I wanted to add that specific gravity machines offer a way to test the coins also. Time consuming, but I am considering being as thorough as possible. You can get specific gravity devices for under $100 that are generally used for rocks/minerals but should work on coins also.

14. MX3516 says:

Yes, isn’t it curious how many “uncirculated” rolls of Morgans show up on eBay these days, all dated the same year, all immaculately clean. How strange it would be for mint rolls of uncirculated coins a hundred years old to be suddenly showing up in such numbers.

15. SILVERMAGNETSLIDE says:

yes, some of the fakes are spot on with regard to weight. I’ve seen another guy ring the coins and plot the response on a spectrum analyzer. The software is free and can be set up with a mic very easily to do testing on Morgans, certain common rounds etc. The resulting plots are very unique to said types. Brilliant and easy idea. Kudos to him for thinking it up. Just using your ear is no where near as effective unless you are dealing with gross fakes. Good luck!

16. lagoveride says:

is there an easier way. I like the slide idea, but it would destroy some of the numismatic value on some coins. Currently I am using a scale. Luckily the morgan i just bought off ebay weighed exactly 26.73 grams on my scale. Have you ever seen exact fakes down to the .grams? I dont live near coin shops and I do buy graded coins but sometimes i like to collect and put them into albums. As for bullion i only trust gainsvillecoins, apmex, monarch, and scottsdale. got any more tips for testing?

17. JerryE1961 says:

Never mind my earlier question I see the answer in the previous questions below.

18. SILVERMAGNETSLIDE says:

i suspect your magnets were not strong enough. With weak magnets the affect will not be discernible. also, watch the polarity and orientation of your mags. good luck bud.

19. K Williams says:

If anyone has duplicated this reaction, can you please post specifics of the magnets used. Thank You!

20. K Williams says:

Made one of these with n48 magnets 1×1/2×1/8. Did not notice any real difference. Wish you could have been a little more specific about the specifics. Obviously this is a good idea! But alot of resources may be wasted trying to duplicate.

21. SILVERMAGNETSLIDE says:

not sure, try it and see

22. SILVERMAGNETSLIDE says:

I notice a difference between 90 percent, 40 percent and clads.

23. frontier1701 says:

Excellent – Excellent Vid… thank you for posting… I had a dead hard disk drive and took it apart and salvaged these exact magnets you showed… many thanks for sharing your knowledge!!!

24. SILVERMAGNETSLIDE says:

Incidentally, I incorrectly state that the silver coin moves slower due to its being such a good conductor and the resulting more-powerful induced magnetic field. That’s not correct. The effect is primarily due to the diamagnetic properties of silver, a property that causes it to counteract magnetic fields in motion.

25. K Williams says:

Is it better to use smaller magnets or can larger magnets be used? I was thinking 2x1x1/16! What about the thickness, how does this affect the pull?